Saturday, January 26, 2008

My little angel

There's a woman I work with, Vanajakshi, who's adorable. She's probably in here 50's or 60's, I can't really tell, but she's so incredible sweet. She's basically an assistant, but not in the sense answering phone calls and keeping the boss's schedule. She runs errands for admin, and things of that nature. For example, she'll shred paper, she'll run out and grab a document from some place, things like that.

Now the reason I think she's incredible, is because she has such an amazing heart. She speaks Kannada and I speak Tamil, and somehow we understand each other, not always, but sometimes. She'll ask someone else in the office to translate, if I don't understand something. Awhile back, she was talking to one of my coworkers and expressing her concern for me since I'm living alone, and my family is so far away. She was worried. She also stated that she really loved that me and another coworker(from the U.S.), are so tall and broad and we liked our skin. CUTE.

Yesterday, when i arrived at work, she asked me what I had eaten for breakfast, also called tiffin. I told her I had myself a bowl of oatmeal and it was delicious. She said she had chapatis in her bag and I should eat some, the minute we got into the office, she pulled out the chapatis and chutney. I told her I'd eat it later and about 2 hours later, when i was in the kitchen, she pulled them out, put it into a plate and made me eat. It was cute. I know she's concerned about me eating, and that's why she fed me. I love her. Later on in the day, I felt a fever coming on (i felt kinda weird all day, clammy, and feverish, it sucked), and when she heard she asked me if i wanted tea or coffee. She felt my throat and confirmed that I was a bit feverish. It was really cute and it made me feel so good that someone was genuinely concerned about me. My coworker from the U.S., Surabhi, was the same and told me to call if I needed anything. The great thing is, I knew I could call her and she would help out in any way possible. I've been here less than two months, and I already have people like that in my life. It's Indians. Although many of them piss me off, there are many of them that are just so genuine and caring. As much as I miss home, and I still do, it's comforting to know that there are people here looking out for me. And for that, I'm grateful.

So this little angel of mine was able to do something else amazing. I went to the bank last week to open an account. I spoke with the assistant manager and she was being a total b**ch. She was making things more difficult than they had to be. She basically said that I had no proof of residence, even though I had my lease agreement, and that I couldn't open an account. I kept asking her, what exactly she needed. This is all the proof of residence I had, my company told me I needed to start an account here so they could directly deposit money into my account, what should I do. She said I needed to start an account at a different bank and my company should write checks for me. I don't know what her deal was, she was giving me really shitty answers. Nothing very direct. I was arguing with her for sometime. I tried to stay calm, and I did a decent job, be she wasn't helpful AT ALL. When I went to work that day, they were surprised that I couldn't open the account. So the next day, they sent Vanajakshi to the bank with all my papers, as well as my gas bill (for extra proof of residence) and she was able to open the account!! WHA!?!?!??! I was amazed and pissed. They're such jerks to foreigners here. But now i need to go back and get my passbook, and I'm a bit nervous about that. I'm nervous about seeing that lady again and her giving me a difficult time. Plus, my aunt sent me money that I'm in NEED of right now, and I need to be able to cash it, something I can't do without an account. So these are the many reasons of why I hate India. And I thought maybe being an Indian myself would be helpful, but it's not.

When I sign up for stuff, even though it's none of their concern and they know I"m only here for 6 months, they ask, "where are you working?" EVERYone asks that. It's weird, coz we won't have any conversation, at all, and they'll ask me that. For example, when the guy came to set up the internet, he set it all up, asked me if this was for work or personal reason and that's pretty much it. Then, when he was putting his shoes on, he asked me where I'm working. He didn't say much the whole time he was here, (though he was quick and efficient which is a godsend coz nothing here it), and then he asks me that. I thought I understood Indian culture, but I only know so much. I'm starting to get it, even though I don't like it.

So as I said before and will continue to say, everything is a process here. They makes things so difficult when they shouldn't be and it sucks. I hate that bank lady, I do. And although I'm worried she'll make it difficult to get my passbook, I know Vanajakshi will come to the rescue and make things all better.....she's so awesome!!

1 comment:

san said...

Awww chickie....
I miss you so much and I'm glad things are getting sorted out. I can't imagine how hard it is, but we're all thinking of you!
Sara